within a project aiming to help a manufacturer, cross-sector technology company focusing on the objective evaluation of industrial data networks' quality and stability. The client is specialized in applying a large portfolio of industrial diagnostic tools used to test the actual quality level of different networks and to eliminate any potential errors.
The project consists in the development of new features for a widely spread application used by various important vehicle manufacturers. It is based on the use of a quality detecting device, providing information related to the network load, data throughput, refresh rate, telegram gaps and jitter, recording the current communication quality parameters.
The client wants to improve the existing software in order to upgrade its functionalities by:
- implementing a module used to search the switches in the specific network;
- using the module to intake data, port statistics and leakage currents from each switch port;
- developing a feature used by a client to upload a XML file including the description of various device-related alerts in order to display the message of an alert, not its standard code. Specific files may be uploaded, deleted and downloaded in the front-end side.
The aim of the intervention was to implement a refactored code, followed by its review by the client, who is charge with its final implementation within the large project.
- Understanding the business objectives and context.
- Getting to better know the domain.
- Finding out more about the concept, idea, vision, needs, users, necessary features, business goals.
- Getting more insights into what is being measured, when and why.
- Anticipating the client's needs to more effectively manage the features.
- Refining the needs and listing its features.
- Describing the features within the established timeframe.
- Development of new functionalities for the device firmware using C++.
- Adding new device interface functionalities using Backbone.js, jQuery, HTML, and CSS.
- Bug fixing on the developed functionalities in order to ensure their compliance with the technical and functional specifications.